Kids stuck at home have a hard time remaining satisfied with routine as the weeks pass by. Most parents need help. Fortunately, there are plenty of cheap kids tablets pre-loaded with age-appropriate games, apps, entertainment titles, and education material out there. Here, weâ€™ve rounded up all the best kids tablet deals from Kindle, Amazon Fire, and Samsung.
Todayâ€™s best kids tablet deals
- â€” $60 ($40 off)
- â€” $100
- â€” $110 with 1-year FreeTime Unlimited and $25 Shutterfly credit ($25 off)
- â€“ $128, ($15 off)
- â€“ Silver â€“ $150
How to choose a kids tablet
When youâ€™ve decided to buy a tablet for one or more kids in your family, it helps to know what to look for, because the best tablets for adults could be expensive mistakes for kids. A manufacturerâ€™s features chart can be overwhelming, but finding a tablet for your kids doesnâ€™t have to be an ordeal.
Factors to consider when choosing a kids tablet
- Durability â€” Kids, especially younger children, can be tough on screens and cases. Most tablets built for kids have protective cases of some sort. Many also have screen protectors. Check out the manufacturerâ€™s warranty. Amazon, for example, has a two-year replacement warranty under which all you have to do is send in a broken kidâ€™s edition tablet, and Amazon will send a replacement.
- Age-appropriate content â€” A tablet with content thatâ€™s right for toddlers wonâ€™t be a big hit with 9-year-olds. Tablets often include games, books, music, apps, and video. Amazonâ€™s FreeTime Unlimited allows parents to configure Kindle Kids Editions and Fire Kids Edition Tablets for ages 3 to 5, 6 to 8, or 9 to 12.
- Privacy â€” Tablets typically have one or two cameras, speakers, and often a microphone. All tablets connect via wireless technology with various combinations of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and cellular connections. Check for privacy controls, including a way to turn off the camera.
- Parental controls â€” Most tablets for kids have some form of parental oversight and control. Various companies use a settings app on the tablet, internet or mobile apps that parents can use to configure and manage the kidsâ€™ tablet or a Parents Dashboard on a website. Control can include usage time, scheduling, specific content titles or categories, and more.
- Hardware features â€” Depending on how your child uses the tablet, different hardware features matter. For example, a high-resolution display and decent speakers are essential for watching movies and TV shows on a table. A powerful processor and ample memory allow apps and media to run at full speed. A lot of storage allows your kids to keep a lot of books, games, or video content on the tablet, which means an internet connection wonâ€™t be necessary. If your child uses the tablet for homework, theyâ€™ll need productivity software, especially a word processor.
The secret to success in choosing a tablet for your child
The safest course in deciding what kids tablet to buy is to find out what your childâ€™s friends use and like. Check that their parents are also happy with the tablet and go for it. Not only will you have trusted advice, but youâ€™ll also have built-in local support.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.